Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Was that a bear?

Well, it seems we had a visitor in our yard when my parents were here and we didn't even know it! Apparently, we were shopping on the eventful Saturday when he/she was spotted on the eastern side of our property. The neighbor came over and asked if we had seen it, but, of course, we didn't. Wouldn't have even known about it if he hadn't been over to tell us! But, I think I might have seen it a couple of weeks before when I was out running the dog with the 4 wheeler. The dog goes out in front and sets the pace - I just try and keep up. Well, when we were out on a dirt road next to a county ditch, I saw something come out of that ditch and it looked too big to be Winston, our neighbors black lab. It also didn't move right, you know? Looked like a Newfie without a tail. You know, the Newfoundland dog? Just too big and funny looking for a lab. So, I decided, I really didn't want Rusty, A.K.A. "Dufus", to see him and do who knows what else. He'll be 2 this November, so he's kinda young and dumb but I've had Airedales before and they don't back down for any thing or any one. Once they decide you might be fun to "play" with, they are gone. They are very single minded. Luckily, for me, Dufus usually has his nose in the various gopher holes along the way, being the good Terrier that he is, so he didn't see it.

He's really funny when he decides that a hole in the ground smells interesting. Sometimes, I have to put the breaks on pretty fast so I don't run him over when he decides to stick his head in the ground. (we are working on that stopping in front of me thing. I just don't want to run over him, or my husband to run over him when he runs him). I'm sure that once he starts digging and snuffling his nose down to his ears in the hole, whatever it was is long gone. He gets to digging and digging, throwing dirt everywhere, (you don't want to be behind him, trust me), when he get going. Sometimes I think he mistakes the dirt for an animal when it falls to the ground behind him because he quickly looks to see what it was. That is really funny.

He did find a mouse though and I'm not sure if he ate it or not, (gross, I know), but he is very interested in wood piles now, also. He was so quick when he caught it, I wasn't even sure he had, at first. Since we had corn growning around us this year, we did have way more mice and voles that I cared to have. (I have a blog about the mice in the car in a previous one on the Areavoices blog that I recently moved from).

We are supposed to get snow tonight. Good grief! If I get any pix of the bear I will post them. Keep warm! Also, if you like, check out the new stuff I put out on Etsy tonight. Thanks!

No comments: