Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A New Weave, I think...

This particular weave hasn't been made before, (maybe) or it isn't made very often.  I looked and looked online to see if I could match anything to it.  So far, I haven't, but, "there is nothing new under the sun."  as they say, so I'll keep looking.
I designed it accidently.  Was trying to make a double orbit-type or helm type but came up with something even cooler.  It actually looks different on front and back.  It was a tri weave, meaning to me, anyway, that it has three distinct sides when weaving.  I thought when I started to try and figure it out that it would be two sided, but somehow in the process, I twisted a link in there wrong.  What's funny is that I kept doing it for about 4 rounds and started to see a pattern.  I am dyslectic so end up doing things backwards occasionally which is probably what happened in this instance.  I used to put zippers in backwards and couldn't learn to knit and didn't figure out what was going on until I discovered macrame.  Did you know there is a right and left handed square knot?  That was a Eureka moment for me! It explained a lot!  
I kept at the weave all weekend, on and off, which drove me crazy, (not a long trip, by the way. ;)  )  when I was trying to figure out what was going on and how to start another one.  It's one thing to find a new weave, it's totally another to replicate it starting from scratch! Maybe there is another weave out there, but since it is a double linked chain it may look different than a single link.  Does that make it a new one?  I might post it on one of my vendor's gallery pages to see if anyone can tell me what it is.  They are big into weaves as they have done chainmaille for movies like "Chronicles of Riddick". 
So, I seem to discover things accidently, which, I guess is all right!  I wonder if I get to name the weave....
 

No comments: